[Ek_fiber] Hello

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 14:53:07 CDT 2005

Good idea!

I started weaving on a rigid heddle loom when I was about 12, and have
been interested in textiles ever since. Had a floor loom and was
(briefly) weaving for sale about 15 years ago, but for various reasons
stopped and no longer have the loom. Right now I have the use of a
borrowed table loom,  and am trying to get back into using it.

At one point I was teaching preschool, and when we came up to the Farm
Unit I decided I could teach about sheep... so I got a spindle (boat
anchor, it was!) and some roving and a 15 minute lesson from a member of
my weaving guild, and started teaching my 4 year olds how to spin. They
thought it was cool, and I learned that producing something that can be
recognized as string is really pretty easy. (Getting to thread takes a
bit more practice...)

So, when I joined the SCA a few years ago, I pulled out the spindle -
and, before I knew it, my first fleece had followed me home. So,
suddenly I was learning about washing, and processing, and eventually
combing... oh, yeah, spinning, too. I don't really recommend that order
- for a long time I couldn't tell when in the process problems were
caused! Learned a lot, though.

I'm also interested in spinning flax, and lucky enough to have taken
classes from AnneLiese, so I didn't have to start that one from scratch.
I had the advantage that I wasn't yet used to wool, so I didn't have to
drive myself crazy trying to make my hands remember that flax behaves
differently.

My main interest in the SCA has been spinning, but one day, I'll have
enough thread I have confidence in... *G*

AEllin