[Ek_fiber] Another Intro

Mizzi at aol.com Mizzi at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 15:10:14 CDT 2005

Good morning good gentles,
56 members is a fantastic number. Kind of shows that this must be a good
idea.

As for me, here goes.  I come from a decidedly non crafty home. Just managed
to learn to sew and my grandmother did knit some (as in some of her creations
were recognizeable) but I discovered the joys of embroidery. AFAIK my Maunche
was largely recognizing that interest but lurking in the background is MAKING
fiber and using it in all sorts of ways. Knitting escaped me as a teen so I
taught myself to crochet but gave it up when I did manage to learn to knit. I
find knitting sooo much more flexible and fiber efficient. Drop spindle spinning
was a consequence of SCA demos. It's such a good thing to be doing at them. I
eventually wove a sort of short cape from the various balls of wool spun at
demos.  It's not elegant but warm. I've branched out to owning two spinning
wheels, an antique flax wheel from Maine and a modern Ashford.  I use them in
spurts as I tend to alternate consuming projects. I have a used LeClerc floor
loom that I have yet to figure out how to use. My most productive weaving has
been on a fixed heddle frame loom that proved itself vulnerable to fire.

My current fiber project is knitting as close a reconstruction as I can get
to of the Elenora of Toledo stockings. I'm getting on well with the wool
version but am preparing for a silk pair as that was the original construction
material. There is quite a significant diffference then & now between the two
materials.  Heaven knows where I can get the silk to kint them from but I'm sure
something will turn up. Any Ideas?

I plan to be at SRWC and at Pennsic.  Will be eager to meet up with ther rest
of you.  I think the knitted cap idea sounds good as a subtle member
identifier.  Who has Patterns?

Mairgert of Carrigart
An Dubhaigeainn