[Ek_fiber] Another Intro

East Kingdom Chatelaine angharadoftherose at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 12:33:15 CDT 2005

I would suggest Treenway Silks - http://www.treenwaysilks.com/.  They have spun and reeled silk thread and they can hand-dye it for you.  Or Halcyon Yarn - www.halcyonyarn.com or Webs - www.yarn.com.  They both have silk yarns available.

Angharad

Mizzi at aol.com wrote:
Good morning good gentles,
56 members is a fantastic number. Kind of shows that this must be a good idea.

As for me, here goes.  I come from a decidedly non crafty home. Just managed to learn to sew and my grandmother did knit some (as in some of her creations were recognizeable) but I discovered the joys of embroidery. AFAIK my Maunche was largely recognizing that interest but lurking in the background is MAKING fiber and using it in all sorts of ways. Knitting escaped me as a teen so I taught myself to crochet but gave it up when I did manage to learn to knit. I find knitting sooo much more flexible and fiber efficient. Drop spindle spinning was a consequence of SCA demos. It's such a good thing to be doing at them. I eventually wove a sort of short cape from the various balls of wool spun at demos.  It's not elegant but warm. I've branched out to owning two spinning wheels, an antique flax wheel from Maine and a modern Ashford.  I use them in spurts as I tend to alternate consuming projects. I have a used LeClerc floor loom that I have yet to figure out how to use. My most productive
 weaving has been on a fixed heddle frame loom that proved itself vulnerable to fire.

My current fiber project is knitting as close a reconstruction as I can get to of the Elenora of Toledo stockings. I'm getting on well with the wool version but am preparing for a silk pair as that was the original construction material. There is quite a significant diffference then & now between the two materials.  Heaven knows where I can get the silk to kint them from but I'm sure something will turn up. Any Ideas?

I plan to be at SRWC and at Pennsic.  Will be eager to meet up with ther rest of you.  I think the knitted cap idea sounds good as a subtle member identifier.  Who has Patterns?

Mairgert of Carrigart
Ek_fiber mailing list
Ek_fiber at lists.gallowglass.org

http://mail.yahoo.com