[EKStationers] Greetings

Helen Pinto hpinto at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 28 16:45:47 CDT 2005

Elwynne wrote:
> Thanks for
> showing us some of what you learned in the vade mecum class.  By any
> chance
> did the teacher have a bibliography/resources to share with the class?

That was either me or Elianora Mathewes- we both taught classes on the
subject at Pennsic.  We both worked from the same source materials.

I have attached my hand-out to this e-mail.  It doesn't include the
pictures, since those were added the old-fashioned way.  However, I can
point you at the sources.  The most useful sources in the bibliography are
the Michele Brown book (the picture of velvet-covered vade mecum (BL MS Add
17358) which started me off is in there, under "V"), the first Professor
Carey monograph (which contains lots of pictures of pages from assorted vade
mecums, including my favorite- the urine sample chart, plus a picture of the
one at the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, closed, with its slipcase), and the
book from the Cloisters exhibit (which included several pages, a small
rolled chart, and a complete vade mecum (on p 193) whose cover I'm currently
working on).  The second monograph is more useful for those interested in
the content, not the construction.  The attached picture above is of the ROE
vade mecum, opened, which is held in the Crawford collection at the
observatory.

BL MS Add 17358 was used as a model for the class.  Because glue was not
setting up at Pennsic, the students laced the cord through the covers
instead and ran it under the sewing at the top to secure it in place.  They
also received a page/cover template.  To make one, take a piece of
letter-sized paper (if you trim an inch off the long side, you will be close
to the actual size of 17358) and fold up the bottom to within about an inch
of the top.  Fold the left and right in to divide it in thirds.  Open those
two folds up and trim the left and right panels even with the bottom edge.
Trim the centre panel to form a tab.  The top centre panel is also your
cover template- mark a few sewing holes in the tab area.

If the list should strip the attachments, write and I'll try other
arrangements.

                     -Aidan