[EKStationers] Limp Binding Project

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Wed Dec 21 09:12:42 CST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Rachael Schechter wrote:

> The Bailiwick of Ivyeinrust
> (http://www.ivyeinrust.eastkingdom.org/) will be having a
> commons the day before Twelfth Night.  There is a good chance
> that I can find someone going to both to carry the books, and
> I could host a class on making them so we could come up with
> a couple.

That sounds like fun!  Wish I could be there.

> Now, seeing as it is just a commons instead of a large event,
> how much leather do you think I should have on hand?  I'll be
> in NYC the week between Christmas and New Years, so if Talas
> is open I won't have to worry about shipping time.

Each book takes a rectangle of about 5 1/2 x 13" for the cover
(enough to wrap around the text block about 2 1/3 times).  How
much leather you get would depend on how many books you expect to
make.

As far as the leather goes, it doesn't have to be binder's
leather (although you will get a really nice result with that) --
you can also use garment weight or upholstery weight leather (the
instructions were done using upholstery weight leather).  It can
be either dyed oak tan leather or mineral tawed leather, since
you don't have to worry about ease or difficulty of pasting.

(I'm leaving open the possibility that some of us might not have
the time or opportunity to acquire good binder's leather for this
project...)

Lyle