[EKStationers] Vade Mecums, Was Beginnings of this List

Helen Pinto hpinto at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 8 01:59:51 CST 2005

Talismans- I know there are some Middle Eastern traditions where short
prayers are written on scrolls and then rolled up inside a piece of jewelry,
but I don't know how far back they go.  Religious texts were also
embroidered on clothing in period.
As for vade mecums, these were more secular, and much longer.  They
consisted of several pages, folded up inside a cover of leather or cloth,
and often hung from a belt.  The primary use was for calendars, medical and
legal information, astronomical charts, legal information, charts, etc.
(Vade mecum means "go with me", so it was important information that you
would need to have on hand.)  There is a good picture of BL MS Add 17358 in
the book below.  This one is oblong (others are folded concertina style) in
what looks like a velvet cover with some braid trim.  There are several
pages, and it would be easy to make.  Imagine a regular sheet of paper, held
in portrait orientation.  Cut a bit off the top of the sheet so that there
is a tab in the middle of the top edge of the page.  Now fold the page in
half (more or less) up on itself to level with the new cut edge.  Crease.
Then fold the left side in a third of the way, crease, then the right on top
of it, and crease.  Make several.  Cut a front and back cover in the shape
of the folded sheets from leather or some re-inforced fabric.  Sew or rivet
the whole thing together at the top.  Write all over the pages (before or
after).  When you need to access a sheet, you open to that page and unfold
it.
Hope this helps.
                         -Aidan
Brown, Michelle P., _Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts_, Getty
Publications, Los Angeles, Ca, 1994, ISBN: 0-89236-217-0