[EKStationers] Szirmai! And period Japanese books

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:05:22 CST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Raffaella wrote:

> I'm so thrilled! My copy of JA Szirmai's book has arrived!
> Now I have something fun to do whilst being snowed in today
> :)

That's a great book, one of my favorites (I finally was able to
return the library copy after my wife bought me a copy for
Christmas).

Note that there _are_ a few issues with illustrations in the
early part of the text -- nothing that you can't get by if you
pay close attention, but they can be a little confusing.

> Just thought I'd also share info about another book - the
> first english translation of a book on Japanese bookmaking.
> It's "Japanese Book Binding" by Kojiro Ikegami. He is a
> master of the old techniques, both creating new books and
> restoring antiquities. It's not as detailed on dates as i'd
> like, but it does cover all the different styles throughout
> the history of bookbinding in Japan. And it has very detailed
> and easy to follow instructions for making each type of book.
> It also lists info on where you can find traditional papers
> and fabrics. Definately worth a look, the examples of
> finished pieces are absolutely gorgeous

We have this one as well -- a fun book to deal with.

Lyle

--
Lyle H. Gray
gray at cs.umass.edu -- text only, please