[EKStationers] Re: Ekstationers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2

MC Toscano Nataliia at fwpro.org
Fri Jul 15 13:55:02 CDT 2005

Heather Gray wrote:

>Maybe "Novice" isn't the best name and something else would be better.
>"Apprentice" was used in period, but do we want to use that term if it may
>confuse people outside the guild (if we don't require each and every student
>to actually be an apprentice in the SCAdian way) ?  Or do we want to use it
>anyway, and promote a greater understanding of period practices of guilds
>and companies?

I like the idea of going with something historical and if they were
named apprentices, then we could try and go with that.  Saying that "I
am an apprentice in the stationer's guild", and then using that as an
opening to talk about guilds.

>On Journeymen, how about junior and senior journeymen?  The difference being
>that a senior journeyman is ready and able to do some teaching, but still
>has more to learn on his/her own personal path before attaining mastery in
>the given field.

I think if we use Apprentice and Journeymen, we will have solved the
problem.

>>What to give out? What comes to my mnd immediately, a book! ; ) A hand done
>>

>book (small maybe even a folded page within fabric) to symbolize advancement
>to Journeyman. Perhaps something that has a page in it for spots to record
>reaching new achievements in Journeyman. Your own personsonal roll of honour
>to carry with you. And a pewter badge would be nice as well.
>
>Haven't found a record of anything being given out, but the little book does
>sound nice :)  Only thing I've found so far is that the advancement is
>recorded in the register (the register is for all recording all things that
>have monetary element, and has been handy for researchers in figuring out
>who did what and when).

I think following the historical practice would be best.  I think that a
register handled by the guild itself would be the right thing.

>>Do we need to charter how information on learned skills and research is
>>

>collected and distrubuted? It might seem obvious to us now, but will it to
>others in the future?
>
>Possibly a responsibility of the wardens?  And if we could get the areas
>fairly well defined, maybe put it together as a pamphlet to hand out?

Our first project? :-)

Nataliia