[EKStationers] Book press & book board questions

Iheronimus Brückner iheronimus at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 22:17:33 CST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Raffaella wrote:

> Does anyone have some numbers at their fingertips for:
>
> -bookboard thickness, 1/4 inch? less, more?

Depends on the size of the board, and the material used.
Small hardwood boards can be thinner, be careful of the
grain direction. Best if it's quarter-sawn.

> -dimensions for a simple press (2 boards, 4 long bolts
> w/wingnuts at the corners)

?

A simple press (for flattening paper and pressing books) can be
two sheets of 3/4" finished plywood with some weights on top.

> -size of slot to cut in press for sewing?

Why are you sewing in a press? Traditionally it's done on a sewing
frame...

See: <http://www.imprimatur.com/handcrafts/info_tools.html> for an
example

> Won't be making anything larger that 8.5 x 11",probably
> smaller

Suggest you try 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" as a convenient size to start with.

M. Iheronimus