[EKStationers] Bookbinding in Bhakail (and vicinty)

Rachael Schechter rschecht at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue May 17 17:14:18 CDT 2005

The next meeting for those interested in bookbinding will be May 25, 2005

Okay.  We are going to try to make an Ethiopian codex.  It's similar in
appearance to the coptic structures we have been making... but the
technique is different.

I still need to find time to make sure that I know what I am doing before
class, but I hope it will all go smoothly.  It will be entirely based on
the third chapter of Szirmai's Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding.

You need to bring -- nothing.

The May 25th class will be in Van Pelt library (at the University of
Pennsylvania) and it officially starts at 7pm... but I have the room
reserved from 6-9 so there can be set up time.  Feel free to show up
early.  Please don't be late, however, because the building closes at 9pm
(it's spring break).

How to get there -- At 34th & Walnut there is a diagonal walkway into the
heart of campus (with buildings all around instead of greenery and
construction... you'll be heading south west).  After going about 1/4
block, you will see a sculpture of a large broken button.  Turn to look at
it.  The stairs leading to the library entrance are behind the button.  At
the door, you just show a photo ID and sign in, and then you have access
to the building.

Walk straight past the elevators and circulation desk and then stop.  Turn
left.  Walk past the computers, display cabinets, and another sitting
area.  When you see glass doors on your right with a STAFF ONLY sign,
there will be a classroom on your left.  This is the Gates Room (rm. 118).
We are meeting there.

If you need directions getting to Philadelphia, let me know.

At the meeting, we will try to schedule the next meeting.  With any luck,
that one will be at Bryn Mawr College.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

 - Livia Petralia