[EKStationers] Printing presses

Iheronimus Brückner iheronimus at comcast.net
Mon May 29 15:00:17 CDT 2006

Greetings,

On May 29, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Scotty Marshall wrote:

> Just a querie, Has anyone here actually built a printing press,

I once modified an iron "standing press" to serve as a printing press.
Getting an even impression was not easy, since my pressure was somewhat
limited by an iffy brass bearing atop the press. Was able to print a
few scrolls
with it before deciding it was of more use to me as a standing press...

A good web site for printing on the hand press:

<http://www.letterspace.com/handpress/index.html>

> cast moveable type, or know offhanded the good source documents for
> these activities?

Reproduction hand molds for casting lead type <http://
www.rsnrecreations.com/>
are being made by Stan Nelson, former curator of Printing at the
Smithsonian.

If all goes well, Lord Padraig Muadhan (Aethelmearc) expects to be
teaching hand
casting at Pennsic this year, as well as some classes on period type
and printing.
Seek him out.

> I remember when I helped out at the mackenzie heritage printery
> that they had a reproduction Gutenburg press, And as a stop gap I
> have about 20 different types of various descriptions and sizes in
> my collection. I assume that some of the early printed volume
> reprints available from publishers like Taschen would be a good
> source for examples of period Font. With that though, I don't know
> if the type cross sections and keying meathods used in a turn of
> the century Platen presses would be at all similar to the period
> approach. Of course it's also possible that I am overthinking.

Maybe, but it beats under-thinking.

8)

Platen presses are typically powered presses with automatic inking
for making
multiple copies. A hand press requires hand inking, which is not as
easy as it
sounds.

Best wishes,

M. Iheronimus