[EKStationers] Printing presses

Scotty Marshall scottvarenko at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 18:37:45 CDT 2006

I love that someone actually knows what I am talking about....only in the
SCA..

At an rate,

Many thanks for the links and info. I've used a "Rat tail" press in the pass
including the hand inking, and as such can relate to what you are saying. I
am not sure that the inking process is anywhere as tedious as type setting,
mais chaqun son gout. That there is a class at Pennsic this year and that
finances are seeming as though they will prevent my participation. As for
the Platen press, I actually have a small 3 1/2 x 5 hand lever powered, and
was inches from picking up a gargantuan 18x24 model from a news paper, which
had the option of steam/ belt hook up, or foot treadle operation. Finding
rollers for the old girl was the deal killer, but now I find there is a guy
in Scarborough (near Toronto) who refurbishes rolls, and were I determined
again, polytech might have a product for recasting the rolls. The other
trouble was finding a good printing ink for non-hydrated presses. I started
trying to make my own version, but had crappy luck.

Ohh, there's a good question, any clues on period printing ink? Chemical
analisys from period tomes? Am I geeking out again?

Time to go downstairs and watch football, eat meat, and prove how normal I'm
not.....

Varenko/Scotty