[EKStationers] Quarterly Report: Worshipful Company of Stationers (fwd)

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Fri Sep 1 11:22:50 CDT 2006

Unto Mistress Danabren Madadh-Mara, Mistress of Arts & Sciences
of the East Kingdom,
>From Master Lyle FitzWilliam, Master of the Worshipful Company of
Stationers of the East Kingdom,
Greetings!

Good Mistress,

Herein please find the quarterly report for the Worshipful
Company of Stationers of the East Kingdom.

It's been relatively quiet for the Worshipful Company of
Stationers of the East Kingdom during this quarter, with members
essentially doing work on their own.  Hopefully the next quarter
will be more active, as various scholas and EKUs occur.

At Pennsic, the Master of the Company, Lyle FitzWilliam, taught a
class on constructing a replica of a 16th century limp binding
with hard spine reinforcement with Meisterin Katerina Helene von
Schoenborn of the Middle Kingdom.  Meisterin Katerina issued an
invitation to co-teach the class after it was discovered that
both had written a handout on making this type of binding.  The
class was originally scheduled for two days, with 2 hours a day,
but was extended to a third day when the work was taking longer
than expected (I was joking with people about going to teach the
third part of our two-part class).  The class was well received
by the students (of which there were 9), and will likely be
taught again next year with some modifications.

It was noted by a few individuals that the gifting of handbook
books to new dependents by members of the bestowed peerages, for
use in taking notes and getting written advice from other peers,
appears to be on the increase.  We consider this to be A Good
Thing (TM).

In the previous report, I wrote:

> On June 24th, 2006, there is scheduled to be a "Papermaking
> Day" at the home of Lady Laurensa de Chambord in Owlshurst
> (York, PA), to experiment with making paper using a variety
> of materials. The results of the day should be included in
> the next report for the Company.

Apparently, this workshop did not occur as planned.

As before, I am still getting familiar with the process of
reporting for this Company. If I have omitted anything, or
included too much information, please let me know.

Regards,
M. Lyle FitzWilliam

--
Lyle H. Gray