[EKStationers] Quarterly Report: Worshipful Company of Stationers(fwd)

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Fri Sep 1 14:45:44 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyle H. Gray" <gray at cs.umass.edu>
To: "East Kingdom Stationers Guild" <ekstationers at lists.gallowglass.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 10:22 AM
Subject: [EKStationers] Quarterly Report: Worshipful Company of
Stationers(fwd)

> In the previous report, I wrote:
>
>> On June 24th, 2006, there is scheduled to be a "Papermaking
>> Day" at the home of Lady Laurensa de Chambord in Owlshurst
>> (York, PA), to experiment with making paper using a variety
>> of materials. The results of the day should be included in
>> the next report for the Company.
>
> Apparently, this workshop did not occur as planned.

Ah....knew I fergot something...

It did indeed occur, and we had perhaps ten people at my house to make
paper. As so often happens, on a day when an outside-type event is
scheduled, the heavens opened, and so, although we did indeed make paper, we
did not make as much as planned.

This was primarily a blind-leading-the-blind event, and so we mostly
experimented with dryer fluff. We started making our slurry with a blender
donated by the mother of one of our participants. This added some excitement
to the day when it began to smoke. As I have a blender that is very useful
for taking up cupboard space and not much else, we used mine instead.

 When damp, dryer lint gave some beautiful colors, depending on what had
been dried. When the paper was dry, it bore a distinct resemblance to...
flat, thin dryer fluff.
We are indeed planning to do more papermaking, now that the Pennsic Panic
has subsided, but this time with lint scraps, instead of dryer fluff, and
various bits of vegetable matter, possibly some metallic threads, etc, but I
would like to research further the medieval methods, as I am fairly
confident they didn't have blenders.

It was wet and messy and FUN!

Lady Laurensa