[EKStationers] Re: Quarterly Report: Worshipful Company of Stationers

Lyle H. Gray gray at cs.umass.edu
Fri Sep 1 15:24:32 CDT 2006

[This note has also been forwarded to the East Kingdom Minister
of Arts & Sciences, as was the original report.]

With respect, I have two amendments/additions to make to the
quarterly report for the Worshipful Company of Stationers.

1)  Lady Laurensa reports that the workshop on papermaking _did_
occur, with mixed success:

   "It did indeed occur, and we had perhaps ten people at my
    house to make paper. As so often happens, on a day when an
    outside-type event is scheduled, the heavens opened, and so,
    although we did indeed make paper, we did not make as much as
    planned.

   "This was primarily a blind-leading-the-blind event, and so we
    mostly experimented with dryer fluff. We started making our
    slurry with a blender donated by the mother of one of our
    participants. This added some excitement to the day when it
    began to smoke. As I have a blender that is very useful for
    taking up cupboard space and not much else, we used mine
    instead.

   "When damp, dryer lint gave some beautiful colors, depending
    on what had been dried. When the paper was dry, it bore a
    distinct resemblance to... flat, thin dryer fluff. We are
    indeed planning to do more papermaking, now that the Pennsic
    Panic has subsided, but this time with lint scraps, instead
    of dryer fluff, and various bits of vegetable matter,
    possibly some metallic threads, etc, but I would like to
    research further the medieval methods, as I am fairly
    confident they didn't have blenders.

   "It was wet and messy and FUN!"

2)  Master Iheronimus Brueckner hand printed the menus for the
    State Dinner hosted in the East Kingdom Royal encampment at
    Pennsic.

    Text was black (18 & 24 pt. Goudy Text), and the EK seal was
    printed in 3 (heraldic) colors.

My apologies to Lady Laurensa and Master Iheronimus for missing
these items in the quarterly report.

Regards,
M. Lyle FitzWilliam
Master of the Company