[EKStationers] Joining the guild

Lyle H. Gray lylefitzw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:14:43 CDT 2013

Why should you join the Worshipful Company of Stationers of the East
Kingdom?  Because you want to.

Why shouldn't you?  Because you don't want to.

Just so you know, I wouldn't ignore someone's interest in the book arts
simply because they weren't a member of the Company.

Current benefits?  You get to say that you're a member of the Company. ;-)
We haven't really gotten beyond that point since we formed the Company.
For a while, we had some tags made by Heather Rose de Gordon, identifying
items as being "Made by <so-and-so>, a Member of the Worshipful Company of
Stationers of the East Kingdom", but I don't believe that those got as much
distribution among members as they should have.

Do you have any suggestions for benefits?

Responsibilities, however, are to support the book arts in the East Kingdom
(I would hope those people who are interested in the book arts would be
supporting them anyway).

I don't believe that we've ever talked about whether or not someone not
living in the East Kingdom could be a member -- I don't recall that it's
come up before.  I'd like people here to comment on that idea.

We _have_ done group projects, most notably gifts for the newly crowned
Kings and Queens at their coronations, and we have in the past worked to
coordinate classes related to the book arts, but there are not currently
any in the works that I know of.  When we presented the gifts, all members
of the Company who were present were invited to come forward to present the
gifts; that gives visual recognition of the members, and people get a
visual reminder that there is an interest in the book arts in the East
Kingdom.  I'd like to see more of that again, myself.

Does that help, or does it muddy the waters some more? ;-)

Regards,
Lyle FitzWilliam
Master of the Company