[Sca-librarians] Google scanning and posting items from major libraries?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Dec 15 13:22:31 CST 2004

Actually they are going to go ahead and scan copyrighted material too--
Whether a book is in the public domain
<http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Dec/gee20041215028262.htm#> or
still protected under copyright law will determine
how much a user will see if the book is listed as a part of a search.
If a book is still under copyright, a user may only receive bibliographic
information as well as a small snippet of material from the book--
unless publishers approve the availability of more content. from geek.com

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-12-14-google-usat_x.htm
also talks about copyrighted material being scanned..

Johnnae