[Sca-librarians] Plea for off-topic advice

Avice of Greylyng Avice at plaiddragon.net
Wed Oct 20 23:18:42 CDT 2004

I can't think of a more qualified group of people to ask this question.

I'm in my first Term at Drexel University getting my MS in Library and
Information Science but since I have to pay for this all myself I don't
have the resources to take every single class I would like to and learn
everything possible.
I have three main ideas of what I want to do with this degree and I'm
betting there's people in all three fields represented in this list. The
fields are

-Academic Libraries helping researchers and students
-Special historical Collections for researchers and students
-Internet accessibility for collections (specifically making historical
documents available on-line)

Now I have a really wide background having gotten my undergraduate degree
in Liberal Studies with a minor in Comp Sci and a lot of classes in history
and lit. I really enjoy special collections and would love to work with
historical collections (even of artifacts instead of books) but I'm afraid
that I won't be as employable as if I had more technical knowledge which I
seem to have a bit of a talent for.

So what do I concentrate on? Is there a demand for people trained in
academic special collections? If I take a bunch of technical classes will
they still let me near the medieval document collections?

I love people, history and computers but I don't know how to combine them!

Any kind of advice or observations would be welcome.

Avice
mka
Robin

Lady Avice of Greylyng