[Sca-librarians] Plea for off-topic advice

Jackie Wyatt vaanthro at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 06:53:40 CDT 2004

I thought I'd reply to the list in case anyone else is interested- if anyone remembers from the
Pennsic gathering, I'm the weirdo who's not employed in a library. :)

I'm from Canada, so what I know may be a bit different than for the US.  From what I've found,
special collections/archival/etc. jobs tend to be harder to find and much harder to get- I almost
ended up in an archives, but it's very hard to move around once you've gone into it.  Having
computer experience is a benefit, so I'd definately suggest it.

Academic Libraries aren't too bad, especially since you say you have a Comp. Sci. background- the
arts tend to be heavily competed for, but from what I've heard, working in an academic library
isn't too bad. :)

Your last one mainly depends on whether the library has enough funding to do such a project, and
in Canada, it usually doesn't have all that much.  You'd probably end up doing a lot of IT stuff
as well in order to fill in time.

The job I'm in is called prospect research- basically I help fundraisers examine potential donors
to find out if they'd be even inclined to donate, how much they might be willing to donate, and
provide background information on them (all of this is legal, so don't worry- some even expect
it).  Since I'm in a small institution, I've also done other research, such as archival and
historical.

What I did was to take a bit of each, as I was not entirely sure where I wanted to end up- by
making sure (with the help of my advisor), we planned out a well balanced class plan and I was
able to apply to jobs in many different types of libraries. :)

Medb
(I work at the Royal Conservatory of Music)