[Sca-librarians] Plea for off-topic advice

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 21 12:22:35 CDT 2004

This is the advice I offered last evening. It apparently
didn't post to the list so I will send it now.

Johnnae

First off, trundle down to the local LIS or Info Sci Library or
go to the career counseling center at the school,
and take a look at all the job postings books and at
the various journals that post job ads. Look at American
Libraries, LJ, Chronicle of Higher Ed, etc. Note which jobs
you are interested in and look at what they are requiring
in terms of  qualifications. A number of archives jobs will
require a subject masters or a PhD. A number of cataloguing
jobs in original cataloguing for a special collection or university
will require two or more languages. Match what you are going to
have with the jobs and see how you stack up. You may want to investigate
internships and post degree programs to give you hands on experience.
If you want to do archives or special collections go and talk to those
people and the professors at Drexel that teach those courses. Ask them
honestly if you are going to get a job doing this when you graduate. Ask
them what you are going to need. You may very well have to work your way
into
the field and this sounds morbid, wait for the desired position to open up.

Good luck

Johnnae llyn Lewis
MS LIS Illinois '84