[Sca-librarians] Using your Library as an SCA resource

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 22 10:18:18 CDT 2004

I think this question will vary depending upon where you work
or have worked. If one wants to be taken seriously in the profession,
it's best to perhaps downplay the "geek" aspects of the SCA. Does
it do the career much good for The University Librarian who was an
interntionally known member of the profession to step on a elevator
with me, look down and comment, "Nice front, Johnna!"
I was in full Tudor mode with corset at the time on my way to a
demo on the University Quad. I could look up at him and say
"I'm on my way to Quad day! We're doing the Renaissance today!" but
there are a number of employers and county commisssioners that one
doesn't want to be explaining the SCA to in a funding fight.
One may say it's another Living History Oraganization, but it's still
not seen as serious or worthwhile.

And quite frankly, you may not want the bosses to know exactly that you
need the weekend off because it's Coronation..... In this day and age with
jobs hard to come by, it may not be the thing to promote. Which comes first
the SCA or the library?

On the other hand---
It's a source of cheap programming. No seriously, if
you need a program that you can get for next to nothing,
you invite the guys in with their chain mail and swords for
an afternoon.

Johnnae