[Sca-librarians] Interlibrary Loan rant

Mary Haselbauer mary_m_haselbauer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 13:03:40 CDT 2004

I just found out that I will no longer be able to use
my county library for interlibrary loan. They want me
to use my local municple public library. I am so
bummed. I tried using the municple one before but they
were not very interested in helping me. They haven't
answered my emails and the person I talked to on the
phone had absolutly no clue.

This has to do with how tax money is used.

The county library was great! I could make requests
online. They'd email me when it came in and I could
pick it up at the branch near where I work. I always
checked the box that asked how much I'd pay for
photocopying but they only ever charged me once.

I have other options. I could pay and join the alumni
association of the community college and get library
privileges. My new boss says that she can get stuff
from the university where she used to work.

I do work in a library but it's a small highly
specialized association library and has never been
part of an interlibrary loan system.

I can't believe how upset I am about this! I figured
people on this list would understand my frustration
and possibly provide answers.

Thank you listening.

Cheers,
Slaine
lowly library assistant and independant scholar