[Sca-librarians] Interlibrary Loan rant

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 23 16:24:50 CDT 2004

It seems the way of the world these days.
I would re-investigate the situation at the local municipal library
where your taxes go.
Call and ask to speak to the director. Ask about what ILLoan
privileges are provided for residents and how one asks for them.
Forms, e-mails, etc. Give them another chance.
You might want to check out their web site and  see what it says about
services. E-mail the questions
keeping a copy. If they say, they will not handle ILLoan, go back to
the County Library and show them the letter of denial.
Ask them the options available then.
You may be able to work the system and get what you want which is
continued ILLoan. Don't give up yet. You might check what an alum card costs
as a back-up and if it will give you ILLoan. It might be cheaper in time and
hassle to just develop a good working relationship with a new set
of people and keep them happy. Make sure your requests are accurate,
researched, and really needed. Don't be unreasonable on turn around
times, etc.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
(bet you can't tell I used to do this as a Director)