[Sca-librarians] Re: Question

FV/Rafaella rafaella13 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 12:42:17 CDT 2005

Greetings,

As a herald, and a cataloger, yes!, it would help
folks find your work better if published under your
modern name. For most SCA works written under SCA
name, I usually put "Smith, Jane [writing as Drusilla
Oaksbottom]" on my bibliographies/citations when I can
find the person's modern name so that further research
has both items of information available (but this
doesn't help folks who don't know that one is writing
under a psuedonym originally). When teaching I try to
give folks clues on purchasing if finding the item is
new/obscure to them "get this thru the Stock Clerk,
Black Sheep Books, etc."

The good news is, your authority record at LC (below)
is already tracking psuedonyms but it would be better
if your modern name were the main heading (100 field)
and move your "solveig" name into the 400, a quick
note to LC/CPSO can make this change, but it helps if
your new publication with modern name is already in
place. (I gave at poke at the NLC website and couldn't
find their authorities online...) I agree with Scott
about a note regarding SCA name. I've seen these on
the title page or verso page, it depends on how
forward you want to be with the information.

Hope this helps,
Friday/Rafaella

100 10 |a Throndardottir, Solveig
400 10 |a Kitahama, Miyuki
400 10 |a Nostrand, Barbara
670 __ |a Name construction in Mediæval Japan, 1994:
|b t.p. (Solveig Throndardottir; Kitahama Miyuki [in
kanji]) p. 427 (Kitahama Miyuki [in rom.]; Barbara
Nostrand; visiting asst. prof., Dept. of Mathematics &
Statistics, York Univ., Toronto, Canada; Ph.D.)
670 __ |a Confirmed by publ., 03-03-95 |b (Solveig
Throndardottir and Kithama Miyuki are both pseudonyms
for Barbara Nostrand)