[Sca-librarians] Medieval Manuscripts as Fossils-- article from Science

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:44:08 CST 2005

For those interested in such things--
this came past my desk--
It's in the latest
Science, Vol 307, Issue 5713, 1208-1209 , 25 February 2005

    "How Science Survived"--Medieval Manuscripts as Fossils

Sharon Larimer Gilman and Florence Eliza Glaze

Ancient texts often survived from Antiquity through the Middle Ages in
the form of copies made by dedicated monks before the arrival of the
printing press in the 15th century A.D.; some of these texts are still
in existence today. But how can we estimate the numbers of texts that
survived or went extinct and consequently the amount of knowledge that
we have inherited from the past? As biologist Gilman and historian Glaze
<http://www.sciencemag.org.proxy.lib.umich.edu/cgi/content/full/307/5713/1208>
discuss in their fascinating Perspective, a new study by Cisne
<http://www.sciencemag.org.proxy.lib.umich.edu/cgi/content/short/307/5713/1305>
helps to solve the problem by linking the paleodemography of ancient and
medieval texts to population dynamics. By considering a series of extant
medieval scientific manuscripts as "fossils" of early textual
populations and applying models from population biology, Cisne
calculates the size and age-distributions of certain scientific texts.