[Sca-librarians] A question as regards libraries in general

Scott Briggs ScottB at uri.edu
Thu Mar 10 15:12:36 CST 2005

Hello all,

         I have a silly question for you folks who work in libraries or
spend a lot of time in them, both academic and public. Is it really
becoming more prevalent to find Food & Drink stations (cafe's, coffee
carts, etc.) in the actual structure of the library? In my situation my
department is in the process of moving into an area about 1/3 the size of
our current space, which I may add is not quite big enough to support our
collection and our work space, in order for a "cyber cafe" and lounge area
for the students. In this new usage there are plans to put in ovens so they
can serve pizza, and other foods as well as soda & coffee. Am I going
insane or stupid or something? I thought a library was about knowledge and
information not food.

Sorry I had to vent/ ask if anyone else has had similar situations. Thanks
for listening. I would appreciate any feedback.

Cormac

Scott Briggs
University Library
Reserves Unit