[Sca-librarians] Knights Next Door discussion cont.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 16:16:41 CST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 12:48 PM, POdonn5592 at aol.com wrote:

> As for book signings, I did one At Estrella and will be doing one at
> Gulf Wars next week.

Good. I'll have to bring my copy along, provided I can keep it safe
from the elements, and get you to sign it.

> Will be selling and signing at Midrealm coronation in April and likely
> at Baron Wars and Aethelmarc War Practice in May.

These events are good for you since you have a captive, interested
audience at them. However, they are also of less use for you in another
way, because they have a captive, interested audience. It would be good
both for you, and for the Society, to get some attention outside of the
SCA.

Are there any big Ren. Fairs or large medieval/SCA demos which you
might be able to make? The book is a bit expensive for someone just
wondering about the SCA, which is one reason getting it into libraries
would be good. However, from what I've seen at Ren. Fairs there are a
lot of folks who might spend that much money just because it looks
interesting.

Another thing would be to make a flyer available on your website,
perhaps in PDF format, which could be downloaded and printed by those
running SCA demos. If spectators could get such flyers, it might
increase direct orders as well as give them something they could take
to their local libraries so they would know what to ask for. This might
help get word of a demand to the local libraries. If the demo folks
also had a copy of the book, which they had previously purchased, on
hand at such demos that would also help since folks would have had a
chance to glance through the book and not be buying it blind.

Have you talked to the SCA Stock Clerk folks about whether they would
consider carrying it? It's been a while since I purchased anything from
them, but I think they may still be around.

> Again, thanks for the help. Though I worked as a student in the rare
> books room of the U. Penn library, I never followed how new books were
> purchased. I'm learning a lot as I go.

Yeah, well my training is in electronics engineering (although
currently unemployed) but somehow I ended up doing the Florilegium, and
there is little connection between engineering and editing that. So, we
are often all learning as we go along.

Stefan

> - Patrick/Mael Patraic
--------