[Sca-librarians] Trebuchet help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 00:13:14 CST 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 8:37 PM, Nancy Shapiro wrote:

> Gurstelle also wrote _Backyard Ballistics.  _Backyard Catapult: How
> to Build Your Own_ by Bill Wilson.  My local library has _Catapult:
> Harry and I Build A Siege Weapon_ by Jim Paul, which was pretty
> entertaining.

I bought this last one, and I was rather less than impressed. If you
are wanting to simply build something which will hurl something using
modern tools and stuff you could get from a junk yard, then this
might be okay. Even then, most of it was story with little in the way
of real details. It is certainly not something I would use to build a
medieval style treb or catapult.

Your best historic source is going to be Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey's
"The Crossbow, Mediaeval and Modern Military and Sporting. Its
Construction, History & Management with a Treatise on The Ballista
and Catapult of the Ancients and an Appendix on the Catapult, Balista
& the Turkish Bow" The Holland Press, London  ISBN: 0-946323-14-3."

First published in 1903. My copy says "Tenth Impression 1995

Don't you just love those long, Victorian book titles... I think I
got all that right, but don't count on the capitalization. It is in
several fonts, some is in all capital letters, some not. I have no
idea how it would get entered into various book search engines.

Also, there was an edition published by Dover more recently. However
it is my understanding that the appendix on siege engines was not
printed in that edition. The Dover edition is much cheaper and is in
paperback.

Payne-Gallwey did get some of the inside mechanisms of the crossbows
wrong since he didn't have access to x-rays of the crossbows. You can
find corrected drawings in later books, but Payne-Gallwey's volume is
still considered the best.

I did buy multiple copies of the book when I found this edition as a
remainder. Even so, it was still in the $60 range if I remember
rightly. I didn't know the Dover edition was coming. But if someone
wants to buy one of my extras, contact me...

I'm not sure if these will help, but there are also these files in
the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
siege-engines-msg (93K)  6/16/05    Catapults, trebuchets. Period and
modern.
trebuchet-art     (18K)  4/25/95    Wall Street article on a modern
trebuchet.

Stefan

PS: I've been asked by the editor of TI to write an article on the
Florilegium. It's history, what's in it, what's not in it, how to use
it. He's also replied that a section on how folks might help with it
would be good. I've also thought in the past about creating a class
on the Florilegium for Gulf Wars and/or Pennsic, but was afraid that
that would be of little interest or be considered rather egotistical.
However, it looks like such a class will be on the Gulf Wars class
schedule.

So, is any of this of interest to anyone? What would *you* like to
see in such a class or TI article? I'd like to hear your input,
either positive or negative, especially with comments on what you
would like to see or know about it.

> Surprisingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a Compleat
> Anachronist pamphlet on it.
>
> Sites:
> The Grey Company Trebuchet Page - http://members.iinet.net.au/
> ~rmine/gctrebs.html
> Buy a Build-It-Yourself kit: http://www.builditplayit.com/html/
> pathfinders.html
>
> Maybe one of these will help.  Have fun!
>
> Ki-lin
> Mongoose Information Services - Our motto is "Run and Find Out!"
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com