[Sca-librarians] Slightly OT: Sad news in Prydain and Westmark

Nancy Shapiro tiggyn at alum.wellesley.edu
Sun Jun 3 17:54:10 CDT 2007

Thought you would like to know in case you hadn't heard yet - Lloyd
Alexander died May 17.

Announcement sites:

http://fusenumber8.blogspot.com/2007/05/obituary-lloyd-alexander.html

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/article2567953.ece

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/05/19/lloyd_alexander_wrote_childrens_books_at_83/

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2007/05/20/metobalexander0520a.html

If you haven't read his 2001 juvenile _The Gawgon and the Boy_, I highly
recommend it.  It's definitely going to get added to the 'Titles to acquire
for my friends' children' collection.  I also recommend you check out
(literally or figuratively) _Dream-of-Jade: The Emperor's Cat_.  A very
charming text with beautiful illustrations. Hard to place for an age group.
More of a picture book format, but split into chapters, and with a somewhat
sophisticated vocabulary.  (Ie. exceptional, imperial, weightiness,
proficient, reimbursement, celestial, illustrious)

Take care,

Ki-lin