[Sca-librarians] TI Bibliography Format

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed May 23 14:58:08 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 04:47:57PM -0400, mhermance4 wrote:

> Perhaps I missed something here, but just how is limiting the
> bibliographies and choosing less original artwork supposed to make the
> TI more popular?

That's a mystery to me. Most readers don't care about consistent
bibliography formats, and I'd also think most authors don't think
extra formatting work is a plus. And I'd think that the bibliography
length ought to be appropriate to the article, not always short. If
the editor doesn't want that article, so be it. If the editor wants
to suggest that a bibliography be shortened, so be it. Requesting
short bibs in advance just discourages authors.

One wonders why they aren't simply putting the more extended
bibliography information on the web, in addition to remembering the
author's email address.

> The bibliographies have never been all that large for any particular article that I recall.

There was a disaster a few years ago with a useless many-page
bibliography. But the mistake was the editor's mistake, not the
author's.

-- Gregory