[Sca-librarians] TI Format

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Sat May 26 13:52:21 CDT 2007

Noble Librarian!

Greetings from Solveig!

> It seems to me that neither of these reports really does away with
> the semi-scholarly nature of TI full-length articles.  They focus
> more on new features.  Two of the most prestigious journals in the
> sciences, Science and Nature, both have extensive news, event
> reports, and occasional humor sections, but that does not in any
> diminish the prestige of the journals.  Also, I think that it's
> necessary to provide a less focused venue like TI for briefer
> articles.  Compleat Anachronist issues are always focused on a
> single topic, and as often as not, are single long essays or
> articles rather than collections of smaller articles.  As such, the
> prospect of publishing in CA is perhaps more daunting than
> publishing in TI.

Not all professional monthlies are still worth getting. For example,
I dearly l wish that I could drop my subscription to
Communications of the ACM. Each issue is trashier than the one it
follows. The magazine stopped being worth while
when they abandoned black covers decades ago.

As for Science and Nature. Those are unfair comparisons as the page
count for those is much larger than the page count
for TI and one reliably finds scholarly articles in the pages of both
Nature and Science. They are premiere publications
after all.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar