[Sca-librarians] Job Hunt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 16:42:48 CDT 2008

Greetings Sorcha,

1) Get your resume finished and have a number of different people
look at it and consider their advice.

2) Post it on monster.com and a few other boards which may be more
specific to your job area. In my case that includes DICE and a few
others, since I am looking for a technical job (Electronics Engineer,
Board and Systems Design).  But most inquiries I've gotten, from
companies or recruiters, have come from Monster. I'm trying to stay
in the Austin, TX area which restricts me, but you don't have that
problem.

3) Locate the local job search groups in your area. These may be
government run (or supported) or non-profits. These are good sources
for resume help, mock interviews and job hunting advice.

4) Use www.indeed.com   This is a web crawler which searches hundreds
of job sites and a few company boards. It allows you to search for
jobs by geographical area and by keywords.

5) It sounds like you might be a recent graduate. Whether you are or
are not, often your alma mater will have some job search resources,
so check with them.

6) You might want to look at  www.vistaprint.com as one source for
cheap business cards. They only have about 12 basic designs and have
a text advertisement on the back, but at $8.95 for 250 (incl.
shipping)  they are fairly cheap. You can pay more for more designs,
to get rid of the advertisement etc, but do a few of those and you
might as well go and get fully custom cards made.  You can also buy
the card stock, prepunched for cards, and make your own.

Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts within the libraries in the
Austin area, but if you will email your resume to me, which will give
me a better idea of what you are looking for, I will keep you in mind
as I read over the job postings i see.

Stefan

On Apr 16, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Lady Sorcha Fraser wrote:

> Rafaella (et al),
>
> Meant this to go to the entire list.
>
> I actually would love to visit that area someday.  I'm glad you
> know I was kidding.  My point with that was I'm willing to move.
>
> I don't have anyplace to really post my resume as a link, although
> I could post it to the list.  I'll have to get it together, but I
> can do that.
>
> Thanks for the link and the encouragement :-)
>
> Sorcha

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com