[Sca-librarians] Viking Answer Lady

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 1 07:27:27 CDT 2008

Once a librarian, always a librarian. Even if I'm not employed at
the moment, I still compulsively read book reviews.
So it was last night that I reading the daily review in the New York Times
for Thursday July 31st.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/books/31maslin.html?ref=books
The book being reviewed was “The Gargoyle,” a debut novel by Andrew
Davidson.

One of the characters claims that she was "born sometime around 1300 and
raised in a German monastery."
Now this is where it gets interesting. The reviewer Janet Maslin writes
"How convincing is she? Well, she knows her medieval German texts, and
she knows her Icelandic lore. (One of Mr. Davidson’s sources in this
exotically diverse book is the Web site vikinganswerlady.com
<http://vikinganswerlady.com>.)"

It isn't everyday that one comes across the Viking Answer Lady being
quoted in a NYT review.

Johnna