[Sca-librarians] Library Assistant fired over book

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 22:18:52 CDT 2008

Oh my.

The one who ought to be fired was the District Library Director. He
complained that the patrons were too identifiable but he was the one
who really identified the town and its inhabitants.

Maybe the town and its citizens are identifiable if you live in that
small town or in the surrounding area, but he has just managed to
identify his town to the entire world. I, for one, would not have had
any idea where or who the town was. But once given this story and his
quote I found quite a lot of info about the town within minutes.

Even the picture of the library wouldn't have been a problem since it
could have been any small town library anywhere. And from the picture
of the cover of the book, the cover looks fairly abstract anyway.

He would have done much better to have quietly shifted her over to
some administrative, out of the public eye position somewhere, at
least for awhile.  From the PR standpoint this was probably the
exactly wrong thing to do.  Although it might be a blessing for the
tourist information folks.  He may have some explaining to do when he
applies for a new position if it has anything to do with PR.

I'm not a librarian, so I haven't had to deal with such patrons or
small town politics, but I may have to put this book on my 'wish list'.

"She doesn't appear to be a professional librarian, even though all
the newspapers are labeling her as one.". Well, your quote calls her
a "library employee". Again, as a non-librarian, what is the
difference between a "professional librarian" and a "librarian"?
Having a degree in library science? The actual work done in the job
at the library?

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas