[Sca-librarians] Portuguese History question

Loren D Mendelsohn lmend at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Wed Aug 27 13:51:21 CDT 2008

Several items in Google Books mention Antam Goncalvez, but
only briefly.  But in Europe: A History (by Norman Davies)
I found a 1 1/2 page annotated summary of how Goncalvez
initiated the slave trade.  The notes refer repeatedly to
the first and second editions of one particular book, so
I've listed complete bibliographic information on both
editions below.  Possibly these will help your student,
especially if they also have a list of references.

1. Davidson, Basil. (1961). Black Mother: The Years of the
African Slave Trade. Boston: Little, Brown

2. Davidson, Basil. (1980). The African Slave Trade, A
rev. and expanded ed. Boston: Little, Brown.

-- Galefridus

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:52:58 -0400
  mauramc4880 at aol.com wrote:
>I'm throwing this out to the collective brain......
>
>I have a student who has been given an assignment to
>wirte 10 pages on Antam Goncalvez
>all I have found is a reference to him being a navigator
>who? in 1441 captured and transported slaves to Lisbon.
>Please point me in the direction of enough info for a 10
>page paper.
>PS maybe an assignment that the professor has not
>researched but has randomly picked a footnote and made
>tha assignmnet.
>
>thanks
>Maura MacLeod

Prof. Loren D. Mendelsohn
Chief, Science/Engineering Library
City College of New York
New York, New York 10031
Voice:    (212) 650-8244         FAX:      (212) 650-7626
E-mail: LMEND at SCI.CCNY.CUNY.EDU