[Sca-librarians] Portuguese History question

Cash, John Joseph jcash at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 27 14:13:29 CDT 2008

Dear Maura,

It will probably be tough to fill 10 pages on this one guy. Antam
Goncalvez is known simply as the first recorded European sea captain to
have purchased slaves in Africa and sold them to Europeans. The main
on-line references cite Elizabeth Donnan's "Documents Illustrative of
the History of the Slave Trade to America" (published in 1930, in 4
volumes, -- the first document is in volume 1, from 1441, and concerns
Captain Goncalvez). You might begin there, to see if there is further
information on him in the document. There is further information in
Norman Davies' "Europe, A History" (1996), where a box on pages 452-453
talks about Goncalvez; and also in Gomes Eanes de Zurara's "The
Chronicle of the Discovery and Conquest of Guinea" (published by the
Hakluyt Society, 1896-99; it's in volume 2 and is accessible on line).
You might also check out an associate of his, the explorer Joao
Fernandez.

- Johannes