[Sca-librarians] A must-read book for all library staff

Lynne Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Tue Jan 15 13:05:35 CST 2008

Sorcha wrote:
> Every day to my livejournal by RSS.  Tamara, the vegan new-age
> children's librarian.  Buddy the mascot-turned-shelver.
>
> It's nice to normalize the workday with such things.  With the things
> we've found left around here (a pair of men's underwear, pornographic
> magazines slipped into the stacks or under chair cushions), I never,
> EVER open a closed door to a study room around here without knocking
> first.  Also, can someone tell me why some patrons will eschew a
> perfectly good wastebasket to throw their gum wrappers and whatnot in
> the potted plant four feet away?  This is possibly my biggest library
> mystery to date.
>
> Sorcha, Outlands
> Cataloger at the University of Wyoming
> George W. Hopper Law Library
Hi, Sorcha,
Long time no see. The worst things found in the stacks here (public
library) - a USED condom back in the Oversize 900s (yes, we're on Dewey)
at the back of the library; one patron left a BM deposit in a chair
(called maintenance for that one - and got rid of the chair! Ick). We
find trash in the potted plants too; not to mention stuffed down the
cable holes in study carrels. All our study/walled-off areas (all 3!)
have glass walls, but that does not stop stuff going on - a pair of
enterprising teens moved all the bean-bag chairs in the Teen area to
behind the teen reference island stack to make a nice comfy bed, for
purposes better left unspecified. :)
Enterprising little critters, ain't they?

Aletheia Isidora (aka Tarimaat - trying to get the registered name in
use, bit by bit).

--
L. E. Puckett
Networking Systems Librarian