[Sca-librarians] OT Help finding info

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Sun Mar 9 10:34:44 CDT 2008

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

> "Hi Cheryl, I am having trouble locating a letter written by the
> Bishop of the Philippines, Miquel Garcia Serrano, dated 28 July
> 1619 to the King of Spain. This letter documents the acquisition of
> a Japaneses Galleon that was sold to Spain. I have been unable to
> locate even possibility of its existence. My question is, are there
> sources, archives or extracts that I might explore for the contents
> of this letter. Any HELP will be GREATLY appreciated.
> I hope your day is sunny and bright inside, despite the cold and
> rain outside. Here's looking at you. John"

First, as I recall, there was at least one ship which was constructed
by the Japanese which was sailed across the Pacific ocean. Whether it
was later sold to Spain or not, I do not know. The Japanese were not
especially happy with Spain and Portugal in the early 17th century.
However, why not go to the obvious sources? Try checking with the
Spanish consulate near you which may have an idea of how to locate
such a letter. If the physical letter still exists, then it is
probably in the Spanish national archives. The Vatican is another
obvious place to enquire. You might also try chatting up the folks at
the Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies at the University of
Toronto. Finally, you might ask the Culture Attache at your local
Japanese consulate. When Japan was closed, at least some Japanese
were effectively exiled.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar