[Sca-librarians] is this a case for censorship?

Cash, John Joseph jcash at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 3 07:21:10 CDT 2008

Dear folks,

I came across a story today on the BBC, about a book being produced in
Australia which Aboriginal leaders are asking to be scrapped or
changed. The full story is at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595515.stm.

The book is to be called "Daring Book for Girls," is a revision of a
British book, featuring many Aboriginal-themes activities, including
instructions on playing the digeridoo. Many Aboriginal leaders say
there are taboos surrounding the instrument, including one calling it a
"male" instrument, one not to be played by women. The publishers have
apologized for any offense caused, but nonetheless appear to be going
ahead with it as planned. They say there is considerable disagreement
on this taboo within the Aboriginal community.

It seems to me they are missing an opportunity, to ask Aboriginal
leaders for help revising this book, and getting suggestions on
alternatives. Instead, they appear to be going ahead with the offending
copy.

If they change it, would it be a case of self-censorship? If they do
not, would libraries' refusal to order or carry it be a case of
self-censorship?

Please forward this to toher lists, as I'd like some opinions.

- Johannes
John Cash, Wells Library, Indiana University