[Sca-librarians] copyright on recipe

FV/Rafaella rafaella13 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 6 02:50:32 CDT 2008

I'll swing at this one...

Technically yes (a reprint invokes a new copyright), but a fair use case can be made:
1. for "face-to-face teaching" (ie, non-profit education)
2. the new author is not using any intellectual "effort" from the author of the new work (because the new author didn't create the old words)
3. the new author is using a very small portion of the whole work
4. the new author is not infringing on the previous author's ability to make money from her effort.

Ideally we'd all get our recipes from primary sources but sometimes that's just not possible.

The new author's redaction is copyrighted to her.

Insert appropriate caveats of "not a lawyer, just a copyright weenie at work"... :-)

I took an a seminar from Laura "Lolly" Gassaway a couple of years ago. She's a copyright goddess:
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/web-pages.htm

Rafaella d'Allemtejo
mka Friday Valentine, Serials & Metadata Librarian, OHSU, Portland, OR