[Sca-librarians] reference help

Suzanne sovagris at cybermesa.com
Wed Aug 26 18:32:36 CDT 2009

> <snipped>
> I sent this to Nancy last evening.
> "/Tablet-woven Braid from a Thirteenth-century Site/." The Antiquaries
> Journal , vol. 34, no. 3-4 (July- October 1954), pp. 234-235. *...
> it's cited in *
> the book  Textiles and clothing, c.1150-c.1450
> By Elisabeth Crowfoot, Frances Pritchard, Kay Staniland
>
> Now if you search "/Tablet-woven Braid from a Thirteenth-century Site"
> on google it turns up in /Textiles and clothing, c.1150-c.1450
> and in that citation it looks like this small article is within
> another
> larger article by R. C. Musson.
>
> If you own the book, you can check the bibliography there.
> Does this make sense?
>
> Johnna

Yes, in the "Textiles and Clothing, c. 1150-c. 1450" book:

p. 216 of the bibliography lists "Crowfoot, G. M. 1939 'The tablet-
woven braids from the vestments of St. Cuthbert at Durham', Antiq.
J., 19, 57-80"

while p. 217 has '-----, 1954 'Tablet-woven braid from a thirteenth
century site' in Musson, R. C., 'A thirteenth century bronze buckle
with attached braid from Bramble Bottom, near Eastbourne', Antiq. J.,
34, 234-5.

So it seems to be a transcription error... but whose?  That second
citation seems a bit off, to me.  Unless the entire vol. 34 was
devoted to 13th C. finds and Musson was the editor of the volume as
well as a contributor?  I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the
journal.

YIS,
Susanna