[Sca-librarians] Children's Books, a Lead danger?

Judith Kirk judith.a.kirk at wmich.edu
Fri Jan 23 12:08:56 CST 2009

Every time I think I've seen everything stupid under the sun,
something comes around to prove how wrong I am. Thank goodness ALA
is on this one bigtime.--Siobhan

*****************************

New Law Could Keep Books Out Reach For Children

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A federal law that will soon go into effect
could have some startling consequences, including the possible
banning of children from libraries unless certain books are pulled

from the shelves.
Library Books
Under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act books for
children
will have to be tested for lead.

The law is called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act and
it
is designed to protect children all over the country from the
dangers
of lead.

Experts said there could be trace amounts of lead in books because
of
the ink. That's why the government wants all books, old and new,
tested for lead.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18498895/detail.html#-