[Sca-librarians] Queen Elizabeth I Book request info

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 16:02:06 CST 2010

How about a book on letters written by and to Elizabeth I, I picked up a copy at
Half-Price Books some time ago, has images of actual letters in their own hand.

Enjoy, Hillary

Elizabeth I: Her Life in Letters [Hardcover]Felix Pryor (Author)
	* Hardcover: 144 pages
	* Publisher: University of California Press; 1 edition (November 17, 2003)
	* Language: English
	* ISBN-10: 0520241061
	* ISBN-13: 978-0520241060
Review
""A fascinating collection of the letters of Queen Elizabeth, along with a
commentary on her life. It makes for a cracking read."

Product Description
Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603) ruled England for 45 turbulent years, and her
reign has come to be seen as a golden age. She exercised supreme authority in a
man's world, while remaining intensely feminine. She was Gloriana, the Virgin
Queen, but is also held up as a role model for company executives in the
twenty-first century. She is a near-legendary figure from a remote past who
remains fascinatingly modern.

This handsome volume has been published to commemorate the 400th anniversary of
Elizabeth I's death in 1603. It illustrates in color and, where possible, in
actual size, sixty manuscripts--either by Elizabeth or to her. Each one is
accompanied by a running commentary, explaining the document and placing it in
its historical context, and selected transcriptions or, where necessary,
translations from the originals.

Elizabeth was a girl of extraordinary precocity and a brilliant linguist. Her
early letters, written in a beautiful italic, are to her forbidding father,
Henry VIII, and to her brother and sister, Edward VI and "Bloody" Mary. The very
first letter dates from when she was a child of eleven. The last, written nearly
60 years later, is a barely-legible scrawl addressed to her successor, the
future James I. The letters from her in-tray are no less extraordinary. Tsar
Ivan the Terrible rounds on her in a blind fury after she refuses to marry him.
The Earl of Essex, young enough to be her son, pours out declarations of love: a
few pages further on is to be found her signed warrant for his execution. There
are letters from ministers and galley slaves, spies and traitors, coded letters,
warrants for torture, speeches to parliament, and the original--only recently
identified--of the most famous of all her utterances: "I know I have the body
but of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king."