[Sca-librarians] "Mc" vs. "Mac"

Nancy Shapiro tiggyn at alum.wellesley.edu
Tue Apr 19 22:07:35 CDT 2011

I think it simply depends on the established policy of wherever you are
alphabetizing.  I remember some weird situation where we were expected to
basically ignore the 'c' or 'ac' and treat the word as 'M' followed by the
next significant letter.:

McDonald
MacKracken
MacAnulty

were filed as if: MAnulty, MDonald, MKracken

Internal consistency is what counts.  However, in these days of WWCD (What
Would the Computer Do), I would think it is more likely to be straight
letter-by-letter, no holds barred.

Nancy who is also Ki-lin