[Sca-librarians] more on barcodes

Judith A Kirk judith.a.kirk at wmich.edu
Wed Jul 10 13:52:02 CDT 2013

Thanks for the responses! I have another question...have any of you who do barcode on the outside of books noticed any strangeness with your barcodes?

We ordered heavier-duty ones (not sure from whom) and it appears there are two layers to these. There seems to be two pieces that need to be peeled off these labels. First you peel it off the sheet, then put it on another piece of paper and peel the second layer.

The first time you peel the label off, it's sticky on the back. Seemed like this was just like regular procedure, but then someone discovered there was a -second- piece that had to be removed from the barcode, but the only way to do it, was to actually put the barcode on a piece of paper and peel it a second time before applying it to the books.

If we do -not- do this second peel, the barcodes don't stick very well to the backs of the books. Some covers just won't accept a label on the outside, period (those will need to be taped down, apparently).

This is the strangest thing I've ever heard. Have any of you encountered labels with TWO layers that needed to be removed before putting them on the books?

A related question: Who did you buy your outside the book labels from? Anyone remember the style number by chance?

I'd love to ask this on Autocat, but we're very concerned with Appearances here at the university and we don't want to look 'stupid to the world' as my supervisor put it.

I think we should be asking the questions loudly, but I'm in the minority. :-) WHO CARES if you look stupid, at least the question gets asked...

Siobhan