[Artemisia] RE: Artemisia Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12

HL Isabeau de Sevingy badsquire at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 10:09:35 CDT 2004

On persona's:
First off, take your time. Don't allow others rush to get you into garb dictate you choice. It's much easier to deal with wearing a simple T-tunic and being known as Bob of Loch Salann (insert your own first name and it's a well know placeholder name, people expect you to change it later) for a few months, than it is to realize too late that you' d really rather be that persona over there and have to convince 500 of your new friends to call you by a new name. Talk to lots of folks, read lots of books, look at lots of costumes. Get an idea of what you like and don't like. DO NOT let yourself be pressured into someone elses idea of what would be a perfect persona for you.

On getting involved:
Show up to fighters practices, bring your wife, later bring your baby! It's a family organization too. If you are interested in being involved behind the scenes, ask officers to 'shadow' them for a few months. Get an idea of what they do. If you find something you are passionate about (after a while, don't rush in to anything) ask if there is a deputy opening in that position. Learn, ask questions, don't rely on any person or small group of persons for answers. Ask alot of people, come to your own conclusion. Research. Learn the differences between primary, secondary and terciary research material. Use them. This group is big on learning. It's fun.

On households:
Wait. Stop. Think. You do not need to be part of a household right off the bat. Households, no matter how big or how small, are not 'official' groups in the SCA. Merely alliances and families. Someday you might want to be part of a household, your own or someone elses, and that is cool. But there are households who thrive on 'snatching up' new folks. There are a miriad of reasons, from 'training up the newcomers right' to making themselves feel bigger and more important. Either way, when approached, ask yourself this... do I want ot be part of a group that wants me in it, before we really know each other? Sad fact is, you will be judged by the company you keep. It's best to stay neutral until you know everyone in the group. The best way to stay neutral is to hang out with EVERYBODY. I might even get slammed for saying this, but folks are used to me speaking my mind, so maybe they won't. We all would like this to be a perfect world, but the pragmatist in everyone will acknowlege that
 there are goobs among us. Those who feed off of others. A dear friend of mine was sucked into a household when she first started playing and was informed that it was her job to pay for the head of the household. Both in the SA and out. This is not cool. Ever. Most households are very nice folks, most will not approach you to join until they have observed you for several years and find you to be 'their kind of folks'. It's cool for you to ask to join a household, but my same warning about waiting applies there too.

On Peers:
Some folks in the SCA are scary, intimidating folks with or without metal hats. Either way, do not allow yourself to be intimidated by them. It's a common pitfall to new folks. You see everyone showig deference to them. They are normal folks just like you, remember that. Mostly, they are more intimidating because they've been playing this game for so long, nothing suprises them (for example, this past 12th Night was my 20th year in the SCA, that's more than half of my life). That absolute confidence is often misread as aloofness, superiority, snottiness or just plain intimidating. Often they will seem distant or less than helpful when approached. Usually, they are just approached by so many new folks who just disappear in a few months, that they are waiting to see if you stick around before investing time and energy into you. Don't be offended, don't give up.

On activities:
Folks here are passionate. They will all want to get you involved int THEIR activity. Try them all on, see what you like best. Don't limit yourself. Do lots on things, do everthing, it's your choice.

On money:
Don't be tempted to spend alot of money right off the bat. What if your life suddenly changes and you can't play anymore? What if you decide you don't like it? Or, just one part of it? If you've alreay spent the money, it's too late. Get in contact with me, I am a champion of the SCA on a budget.

Have fun. If you aren't having fun, why do it?

8)
HL Isabeau de Sevingy
Gryphon's Lair (Davis County)

timus crime <kernelpines at hotmail.com> wrote:
Greetings all! Thank you for the swift response!

Robert Woodruff:
It is going very well! I just found out that my wife and I will be having a
little baby girl in September, our first, so I am terrified and overjoyed
about that. I have always had a very keen interest in feudal times, I grew
up in Westen Montana shooting bows, making wooden swords, running, jumping,
climbing trees, that sort of thing, so this is right up my alley. I also
have a fondness for history. As far as persona goes, that is something that
I shall have to give much more consideration. How did you come about
choosing yours? Anyone?

Raven MacLeod
Sensenchal, Loch Salann:
Thank you for your response! Yes, I have checked both the SCA's website as
well as your own to study up on the finer details of the SCA. I am very
excited about what I see there. I stumbled onto one of your meetings in
Sugarhouse park a few years ago and I have been thinking about it ever
since, so I am somewhat familiar with the organization. The only problem I
see, is there is so much I need to do before I can enter into full
membership. What advice would you have for somebody just starting out. I
need to aquire quite a few physical possessions, clothing, armor, etc.. and
I am sure a ton of knowledge. Where to start???

Dame Rachel:
Greetings to you as well Dear LadY!