[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Mon Mar 8 17:08:58 CST 2004

Jehane wrote:
> If that were true, I would think that at least one monarch would have
> put a stop to people who lengthen courts by hours for their own
> purposes.  Monarchs are the ones who suffer most at
> ultra-long courts.
> I am always impressed by the kindliness and restraint of said
> monarchs.

Well, I have been attending courts for 16 years, and I don't recall one
where someone lengthened it for hours for their own purposes.  I have seen
things take place that some people were not interested in, but the King and
Queen or Baron and Baroness *do* have the final say as to what will take
place in *their* court.  They can instruct their Herald as to what they do
and don't want to have take place at court.   Royalty and the Baronages
*expect* to have to sit courts, and the majority of them know full well that
there will be times that those courts may be lengthy.  And when you actually
think about it, those *in* the thrones get to *sit*.  The hard working
Herald, and attendants behind the thrones are often on their feet the whole
time.  THEY are the ones who have *my* sympathy (and thanks!)

One of the biggest joys of sitting a throne is having the opportunity to
recognize deserving people with various awards, and see the surprise and
happiness on their faces.

Major awards (Peerages in particular) deserve the time that they take.  It
used to be that only the Knights had longish, personalized ceremonies.  We
have progressed to a point where all the Peerages have nice memorable
ceremonies.  But - there are those who for various reasons will never attain
a Peerage.  They too deserve recognition for their achievements, which is
why I favor acknowledging those who have won various contests, and why I
don't begrudge those running the contests the time it takes to acknowledge
their winners.

Gefjon