[Artemisia] Kingdom Traditions (Long)

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Mon Mar 8 18:18:34 CST 2004

Jehane wrote:

> In sixteen years of court, you have never heard any one get
> up and talk
> about some contest for fifteen minutes, followed by four or five more
> people who wanted to make sure that their activity was
> (heaven forfend)
> not overlooked?

Of *course* I have heard people go on about something *much* longer than
necessary or than what the audience wanted to hear.  Sometimes that isn't
something that the Crowns can easily anticipate in advance.  Perhaps the
answer to that might be for whoever is setting up the court to be *very*
specific about the time allotted to each person.  (something along the lines
of:  You may say a few words about your contest, but the Crown will be
DISPLEASED if you take more than X min, because we have a great deal to
cover this evening.)

(snippage)

> Prizes for contests at large outdoor events is what I want to
> discuss.
> Awards are in a different category.

Ok, sorry.  In an earlier post someone had mentioned shortening Peerage
ceremonies.  Must have been someone else.  My mistake.

(snippage)

> Frankly, if I'm not freezing or frying, years of training in academia
> have enabled me to tolerate far more boring things than the longest
> court, yea, verily, and even to look interested and ask intelligent
> questions.  I only want to talk about *large outdoor events*, where
> there are lots of contests, lots of prizes to be given out,
> and only so
> much court time.  I am arguing for using court time for
> awards, kingdom
> law, and ceremonies, and against using court time to hand out prizes.
>
> What is wrong with doing that at a presentation court?

Hum - thinking about large outdoor events, as you have said, and not indoor
ones with feasts - it might work if it was done directly after the full
court.  (close court, give people who were not interested in staying a
chance to leave gracefully, and then start the Presentation Ct)   The only
problem I'm thinking of is the time crunch thing.  Where and when to put in
yet another item, in the tightly packed schedule of those types of events,
and still allow those sitting court time to eat, sleep, and enjoy some
activities of their choosing.

And to some degree it sounds as though we just have different opinions about
the subject - which is perfectly ok!  ;-)

Gefjon
(who is sitting in an 84 deg. building and having a very hard time
concentrating on work today!)