[Artemisia] SCA Court is NOT period (medium)

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 12:02:20 CST 2004

In a message dated 3/9/2004 9:28:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,
damethaya at yahoo.com writes:
Dear Cousins,

Kindly read all of what I have written here, as I would welcome discussion.
I had also been staying off of this topic, but here I go as this has really
been bothering me for some time now ……  Court as currently practiced in the SCA
is NOT period.
Dame Rachel,

Thankyou for taking the time to say so much better than I what I had been
feeling.  It has always disappointed me that so little thanks and so few names
are printed in our newsletters.  I know that space is also short there but it is
permanent and noticed by more people than are either present or able to pay
attention at a court.  Even when I am present in court it is difficult to
remember all who are named, much less who received thanks rather than awards.

Perhaps if more were named in newsletters for their contributions, our
royalty and ranking nobility would have less trouble tracking who was worthy of the
notice which our awards structure was developed to recognize as well.

And your suggestion of "on the spot" notice is especially pertinent in the
case of the younger members of our kingdom.  A child does not have a long
memory, nor are they overly impressed to be called into a formal court two days
after whatever they did (at a longer event) just to be thanked.  I well remember a
seven year old girl a few years ago who was helping a merchant whose
merchandise was spilled to the ground pick it up and replace it.  The current queen
was passing by and notice this act of kindness.  She stopped her retinue, asked
the girl her name, thanked her for such an act of courtesy, and pulled a ring
from her finger to give to the young lady.  Then continued on her way.  The
young girl was called into court much later to receive public thanks but that
meant far less to her than the ring she still wears on a silver chain with her
garb and the determination to someday be "that kind of a queen".  That, to me,
will always be a memory of the way nobility should give awards and (as the
little girl said far better than I) the kind of person our queens should be.

Personally, I would far rather see a number of those sorts of informal
awarding "courts" than to ever again sit through a 6 hour court comprised of 30+ AOA
awards follow by steadily higher awardings.  To me, such a court actually
detracts from the higher (even peerage) awards that we should be celebrating.
(not to mention all of the sore backsides people end up complaining about
afterwards) <g>

Lady Constance de la Rose
Barony of Loch Salann
Kingdom of Artemisia