[Artemisia] A Bit of a Rant.

John Gibson scjd at poboxes.com
Mon Mar 28 10:03:32 CST 2005

Sorry for the short answer, I think it was misinterpreted, so...

To get technical, the Order of the White Scarf is an InterKingdom award
created in 1995 between Kingdoms of Ansteorra, the Outlands, Trimaris,
Atenveldt, and An Tir  that Artemisia later signed on to, that carries a
Society Level Grant of Arms.  I stated "It Isn't" as in it is NOT a Patent
of Arms award, but that the peers in this kingdom do treat DWS with the same
respect as they treat other peers.  I am also happy to say that most peers
in this kingdom treat everyone with the same respect as they do their
equals, which is something that is unheard of in some kingdoms.  (Since I'm
ranting and thinking, FYI, in this Kingdom we treat non-landed Barons and
Baronesses as Royal Peers, listing them in our OP above the OC, OL, and OP,
where according to BOD they are granted little more than an AOA.)  Further,
you will find that quite a few Knights of our realm (Including His Majesty)
do on occasion fight rapier and are familure with what is happening with it
and it's various groups and leaders.

Now, I understand the placement of the DWS meeting at Convocation was thrown
under "Peer Meetings" as a convenience done in trying to quickly send an
e-mail schedule out, but if you read the message as sent it listed Peer
Groups and you can easily include Landed Baronages in that and say they
mistyped a tab (which was my assumption).  Fact is a Peer Group has nothing
to do with a Patent of Arms, but is by definition a group of equals.   A
"Peer Circle" in the SCA refers to a meeting of OL, OP, OC, as would a
"Peerage Meeting".

Now before I stop my rant, I have one final thing to say.  The DWS is as
high as you can go for a combat award if you don't want to put on armor
(Something that would put me in a wheelchair for life if I seriously tried
it, thank you no.) but still enjoy fighting.  Many of the Rapier fighters do
go on to gain their OL or OP to become peers, a goal I myself do admit to
having (though I am in no rush, I do what I do because I can and because
feel I should).  I have met many DWS and Peers both and can tell you
straight that IMHO some don't deserve the titles they do hold.  More
importantly it should be known that I learned my core beliefs of chivalry
and honor long before I knew their was an SCA.  First item among those
beliefs is to treat everyone from the common peasant to the King his self
with the same deal of respect.  Everyone has met someone with nary a AOA who
they thought was a Peer of the Realm and a Peer of the Realm who they
thought was an utter ass.  This dream we make is the dream we try to live,
and it does go beyond the level of a game for most of us.  So forgive me if
you misunderstood me in the first post, you can just ignore my whole rant,
If I misunderstood you, you have my profound apology, and thanks for letting
me have my say, but heaven forbid if you actually think their really is a
class distinction between people just because of an award.  The real
distinction between people is based on how they act.  You want my role
models, try to follow the footsteps of John L, Tanglewyst, or Niccolo.
Those are just three of the people I have looked up to since I began
playing.  I'd say I want to be them when I grow up, but Niccolo insists he
never grew up ;-)

As always, In service to the Dream and my Friends,

Lord John Gilson, HUH?
Locksmith, Baroness's Musketeer,
Provost & GU Black Wing Company,
Rapier Marshal, Barony of One Thousand Eyes, Artemisia

:-John Gibson wrote:
:-> It isn't but we do treat them as peers in this kingdom (and a many are
:-> members of OL or OP anyway).
:-
:-The Order of the White Scarf is a Kingdom level award, NOT a Peerage,
:-nor is it considered such in any Kingdom. I would correct anyone who
:-thinks differently, especially here. That many of our Peerage Orders
:-have earned the award is a side issue, their Peerages came from other
:-recognitions.
:-
:-That that level of the rapier community meets on their own is because
:-they are the only ones that currently can evaluate what they do.
:-Therefore they have been granted an hour of Their Majesties' time during
:-Convocation to discuss those issues. That they were included in the
:-Peerage order, was a clerical mistake that I am certain will be corrected.
:-
:-Juliana